Hey hey! Have I got a blog for you? You might remember a while back I did a few blogs about natural skincare and such? And I also mentioned I’m doing a home-study diploma in Professional Holistic Skincare Formulation? Oh yes I’m a woman of many talents! Well, I thought it about time I blogified about the wonderful lady behind the holistic skincare revolution, the gorgeous Star Khechara. Star is a Beauty Naturopath and Health Writer and it’s via her wonderful website www.starkhechara.com that I’m doing my awesome course. I got her Holistic Beauty Book and since then I’ve been hooked on devoting the best possible skincare ingredients to my gorgeous body (I’m worth it etc.). So I’ll shut up for now and let you read her AMAZING words of wisdom...
1. How long have you been interested in holistic skincare and what first introduced you to making your own products?
I have been interested in natural skincare since I was about 17 years old, I found a random book on my mum’s bookshelf about making ‘ye olde kitchen beautie recipes’ and found it fascinating. I started experimenting with ideas from that book and fuelled my passion by starting Aromatherapy evening classes at age 18.
2. What benefits did you experience making the switch to natural skincare products?
Since the age of about 13 I had been breaking out in eczema and contact dermatitis, which I now realise was brought on by starting to use all those chemical make-up products one uses at that age. I noticed that when I stopped using high street synthetic skincare and made my own instead my eczema naturally cleared up. I also smelled really nice all the time! My friend’s would remark that I always smelled of flowers (all those gorgeous essential oils)
3. How long have you been in to raw foods and how did you discover it?
I discovered raw food not long afterwards, I bought Raw Energy by Leslie Kenton in my local bookstore when I was 18 and went crazy buying tons of fruit and a juicer. Back then we didn’t have all the fancy ingredients we do now so it was harder but still amazing. The whole idea of eating raw immediately appealed as it just seemed logical (plus I am a rubbish cook!)
4. What benefits did/do you experience?
The first time I did raw foods I was still drinking tons of cider at the weekend and eating loads of cake (friend’s would call me the cake queen). My sugar addiction meant I would swing between juice fasting and cake bingeing. But the second time I went raw at age 24 it was astonishing, I went 100% overnight and within about a week I looked different. I remember visiting friends and kept looking at my reflection and wondering what was different – then it hit me, the whites of my eyes were actually white! For the first time ever. I also had loads of energy, was very slim and just felt ‘clean’ on the inside.
5. What do you see as the benefits of eating raw foods to the body in terms of beauty and skincare?
I feel very strongly that the key to anti-ageing and rejuvenation is in the diet. Raw foods offer the best form of nutrition to the body and also keep the cells clean and hydrated – a massively important part in whole body health. In just a few weeks raw foods can give you a facelift from within.
6. Tell us about your book, The Holistic Beauty Book
The Holistic Beauty Book is a manual of how to make your own 100% natural, organic and even raw skincare products, I wrote the book to offer my 17 years worth of knowledge and recipes out into thw world for others to enjoy. I love to share my knowledge whether that’s by teaching workshops, giving talks or by writing. People often ask why I don’t have a shop selling my ‘potions’ but to be honest I have always loved to show others how to make their own rather than merely be a one girl factory churning out vegan lipbalm. The book also covers a little bit about eating for great skin with some simple raw recipes.
7. Tell us about the Khechara Institute of Skincare Studies (KISS)
In response to the many emails I recieve from readers of my book about where can they train in natural skincare, I set up an online training school to enable others to create their own holistic beauty businesses by becoming a formulator of professional holistic skincare products. This is the only school of its kind offering such diverse options as a certificate in raw skincare and Aroma-Cosmetology. Students can study each module as a stand-alone course or enroll in the full diploma. I absolutely love teaching and really enjoy hearing about the products my students have started to make. I am upgrading my school at the moment to include video tutorials and putting some all day practical training events together too.
8. What is your number 1 natural beauty tip?
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drink 2 litres of water a day and you will see your skin glowing.
9. What are your top 3 raw foods for beautifying the body and why?
My top 3 would have to be:
1. Green juice – for its mineral content, minerals are often the thing lacking in so-called ‘healthy’ diets and our skin cells absolutely require such minerals as silica and sulphur. Adding superfoods like MSM and powdered nettle leaves to your juices will turn them into a ‘facial in a glass’.
2. Avocados – all that Vitamin E feeds and nourishes the skin from within and you can even smear some on your face as a nutritious face mask
3. Mangoes – superbly rich in Pro-Vitamin A which is another essential vitamin for skin health. Some skin disorders can be traced back to a sub-clinical deficiency in this nutrient.
10. What’s your favourite natural product for using on the body and why?
I adore raw coconut butter as it is so nourishing yet sinks into the skin without leaving loads of oily residue. It’s also extremely versatile, you can use it on your face, body, hair and even eat it. Some of us sensual raw fooders even use it in the bedroom!
How awesome is Star? Answer: zillion billion times infinity! Seriously, as I said above I’m doing Star’s home-study Diploma course and absolutely LOVING IT. She does however have loads of courses on offer so do check out her website here. There’s more courses starting in January 2011 which is a great time to decide to treat your body to the best you possibly can. Be advised to sign up quick however as there are waiting lists!
This blog was written by Raw Food Scotland's previous owner, Emma Calvert. You can reach her at her new website, https://missmanifestation.com/