What does a raw fooder eat for Breakfast?
Answer: I haven’t a clue but this is what I had.
Chocolate Hemp Mylk wooo! Hemp mylk is pretty much what it says on the er, tin. It’s a milk made out of hemp seeds. You can make milks out of any nut or seed but hemp milk is one of the most nutritious because of all the essential fatty acids. You can make a milk out of the shelled or unshelled ones but I prefer the taste of the shelled seed milk.
Before you can make the milk you need to soak the seeds. This is to remove the enzyme inhibitors and so make it easier to digest. Before you eat (or drink) any nuts or seeds you really ought to soak them for at least a couple of hours. I soaked my hemp seeds over night in pure water and then drained them in the morning to make my hemp milk and this is how I did it 🙂
1) Soak seeds in pure water over night then drain in the morning
2) Blend seeds in half litre pure water. I collect my own spring water but I’ll talk about that another time 🙂
3) Strain milk through a nut milk bag. You can get these really cheaply online or if you want use a (clean) pair of tights 🙂
4) Put milk back in to blender and then tirelessly decide which amazing flavour you’d like to create. You need to sweeten it using honey, agave, dates or whatever floats your fancy. I used 2 teaspoons dark agave then added 2 teaspoons raw cacao powder, 1/2 teaspoon reishi powder, 1 inch vanilla pod scrapings. Blend again
5) Serve in a special hand painted wine glass that your creative friend Freya made for your birthday. If you don’t have a creative friend called Freya or said wine glasses just use your most decadent glass. Afterall you deserve to drink breakfast like royalty 🙂
So that was breakfast. Seriously, hemp milk is so nutritious it ought to win an award and be made to wear a little crown. If you can get one of these down your neck at least once a week you’ll benefit. The recipes you can make are endless. Hemp milk makes a great base for smoothies. One of my all time faves is hemp milk, banana and blueberries! MMM!
Off to the cinema with the husband. I can still smell mango on my face…
This blog was written by Raw Food Scotland's previous owner, Emma Calvert. You can reach her at her new website, https://missmanifestation.com/